Go Back   NutriQuiz Forums > Exercise & Fitness > Fitness Training

Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Getting a flat tum - any advice?

I have just done my induction at a gym and been told to do general cardiac work for a month and then come back to be told some specific tum and back exercises - he said going directly to the tum (my worst bit) would possibly make it worse.
Has anyone else heard this, and what would you do to get a flatter tum?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 PM

I am not to sure why he said that. I don't want to say that he is wrong but I have always said that just your basic sit ups if done right really work on the stomach muscles. Hopefully others on here can give you some tips on what has worked for them.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:01 AM

One reason for them to tell you this is to keep you coming back to the gym longer. Doing all over conditioning takes alot longer than just hitting the spots you want to reduce.

If anything, brisk walking with a few crunches, those that only raise the shoulder off the floor and not full sit ups, would activate your abdominals, but not the whole ab package. Try looking at a few magazines that feature serious work out info, not those light and fluffy "get ready for summer" things, to figure out the anatomy of the area you want to isolate. Your exercises will be more effective.

Last edited by SageMother; 01-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM

He probably said that because he doesn't want you to think that "spot reduction" is possible. You can't just do sit ups and crunches and expect to get a defined mid section. You should work your whole body, not just concentrate on problem areas
Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmonkee View Post
He probably said that because he doesn't want you to think that "spot reduction" is possible. You can't just do sit ups and crunches and expect to get a defined mid section. You should work your whole body, not just concentrate on problem areas
The brisk walking, or any cardio / aerobic exercise will burn fat. The crunches will build the abs. They can be accomplished simultaneously and there isn't really any reason to wait to ad abdominal exercises.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Hands down, an exercise mat and some good old fashioned crunches. Sit-ups tend to strain the neck. There are many different ways to do crunches, so it doesn't feel like such a bore. You could try getting an exercise ball, or search google for different ways of changing up the crunches to make sure you're working all the right muscles.
I hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks everyone. Maybe I will go and talk to them again. I know I could do crunches at home but I am much more likely to do them as part of a routine in the gym, where once I get there, there isn't much else to do - at home I can always come up with something better to do! Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
The brisk walking, or any cardio / aerobic exercise will burn fat. The crunches will build the abs. They can be accomplished simultaneously and there isn't really any reason to wait to ad abdominal exercises.
True, there shouldn't be any reason to wait, but fat burns from all over the body, not just the area you are working so you shouldn't expect to get a flat stomach immediately from doing some ab exercises
Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmonkee View Post
True, there shouldn't be any reason to wait, but fat burns from all over the body, not just the area you are working so you shouldn't expect to get a flat stomach immediately from doing some ab exercises
But won't the ab exercises tone that area? I don't think it is so much fat exactly, more loss of tone due to big fat babies stretching me. No stretch marks though - yeah!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetochat View Post
But won't the ab exercises tone that area? I don't think it is so much fat exactly, more loss of tone due to big fat babies stretching me. No stretch marks though - yeah!

Yeah ab exercises will tone the abs, but you'll never see them if they are covered by any fat. If you have no body fat at all and your mid section is just tones then crunch away, but most peoples problem lies in the fact that there is flab hiding their abs