Go Back   NutriQuiz Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Dieting & Weightloss

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Do you think some people just put on weight easier than others?

I mean, I know it is just calories in versus energy used, but a friend of mine just seems to look at food to put on weight. She doesn't seem to eat so much and honestly, I would need to eat bad food all day and all night to put on weight as quick as her. It makes me feels so guilty when she tells me her weight problems and I just can't understand how she can put it on so quick. Must she have a secret really bad diet or is it just unfortunate genes?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM

It might be that your friend doesn't eat enough to get her metabolism going, but there are people who put on weight easily. It is simply their genetic make up and little can be done to disrupt the programming.

Last edited by SageMother; 01-31-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM

Yes, everyones metabolism is different. That and some people do suffer from thyroid problems which can make them not have energy and put on weight.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM

I totally agree, even with a good diet, a "perfect" food pyramid diet, people will have easier times losing/gaining weight than others.
I too, listen to my mom-in-law talk about how she's having problems losing weight, and I can't seem to gain a pound even when I TRY. I thought maybe it was the age difference, but my husband is the same way, and he's 8 years older than I am.
I really don't know. I do think a lot has to do with the genes/metabolism, but some of it would, I think, have to do with how much/when/what/you eat.
Such as eating snacks after...I think it's 8pm, and you gain weight faster than someone that may have had cookies at noon.
Don't know how that all works, but I hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 PM

I believe metabolism has a lot to do with it. I know since I hit the big 4-0 weight has seemed to pile on much easier and fall off...never. I've even tried upping my exercise routine and although it does help, it never seems like enough. I've also heard that menopause plays a big part in weight gain. All these factors combined together equal out to a lose-lose situation for we over 40 women. Sooo sad!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 AM

I know in my family the vast majority of us are big boned, bigger people. We weren't always that way but became that way. I can look at something and gain weight.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM

My family differs a lot in body type, so looking at my family, it's hard to tell what somebody is going to look like. I do think that some people just gain weight easier than others, relating to metabolism. My sister and I, for example, are very different from each other. I am very thin, and she is on the heavier side.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM

I would have to agree with the above poster about the age being a factor. I have noticed that as I have gotten older weight does not come off as easily and honestly seem to go on easier.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrajean View Post
I believe metabolism has a lot to do with it. I know since I hit the big 4-0 weight has seemed to pile on much easier and fall off...never. I've even tried upping my exercise routine and although it does help, it never seems like enough. I've also heard that menopause plays a big part in weight gain. All these factors combined together equal out to a lose-lose situation for we over 40 women. Sooo sad!
Women are not supposed to be nearly as thin as the medical profession or society would have us be. I really think that there's a need to accept that we are rounder and stop thinking of this as a "loss" or a failure.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:54 PM

I have a sister that just seem as if she would never put on weight, we ate the exact same amount of food at the same time generally speaking and I would put on weight and she doesn't, so I think it does depend on the person.