Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 AM

Default Remedies for Headaches

I don't get headaches very often, but when I do get one the pain is severe enough to knock me flat. Aspirin and tylenol don't touch it, and I'm reluctant to use my prescription medication because it makes me sleepy. Does anyone know of any natural remedies for headaches?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Massage is always helful for headaches, if you have a helpful person to hand who is willing to spend a while indulging you. I've heard that lavender oil can help as well, but I've not tried it.

When I used to get very bad headaches due to a damaged neck vertebrae, I used to find getting blind drunk & going to bed worked a treat! Appreciate it's probably not a remedy that the doctor would recommend, nor one that you can use during the working day though!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM

A lot of headaches can be caused by stress or dehydration and maybe you've tried this but if not start drinking a healthy amount of water per day (eight cups plus) and getting your eight hours. It seems basic but even those little things help me and go a long way toward stopping headaches before they get a chance to start.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the tips. I used to get massages on a regular basis, but they don't fit into my budget anymore. I miss them.

Sometimes I am bad about not drinking enough fluids or getting enough sleep, and I do tend to get more headaches when I'm tired and stressed. I think another factor is hormone fluctuations after my hysterectomy.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:36 PM

A little vitamin B or caffeine may help. Caffiene will constrict blood vessels that might be swollen, and the vitamin B soothes the nerves.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM

I would suggest cold compress and some darkness. I don't know if you have ever tried reflexology, it's a kind of massage but it is done on the feet.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Man I sure can use the suggestions on this post right now. I have been fighting a headache all day. I don't think being on this computer is helping it much either.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM

If before sunrise or after sunset and the stomach is empty, do a head stand. This increases blood flow in the head and stops most forms of headache