Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Default Fish Oil

I was wondering if anyone on here has used this and if it is good at preventing plaque like they say it is? I was in the pharmacy today and the pharmacist was recommending this to someone and he was saying that it helps with this. I had never knew this and was wondering what you guys might know about this? thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 PM

That is interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Isn't it meant to be very good for kids, make them super-clever or something?
Old 01-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Wow, that was quick. I don't know I have never heard of that either. I have two sons so I will have to do some research on this. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:06 AM

I know someone who gives her hyperactive daughter these supplements. She says it helps keep her more focused and calm.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM

From what friends have told me it seem like fish oil is almost the 'miracle' pill. They claim it helps for anything. A google search 'benefits of fish oil' confirmed that it does have positive effects on several things. It does make sense to supplement with fish oil, specially if you (like me) eat very little fish in your diet.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:24 PM

I have also seen many articles about its health benefits. I just worry about the mercury content. Are there any brands of capsules that are checked for mercury levels?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 AM

I was just told today it was so good because it has the Omega 3 oil that is now being said that is so good for everything.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
I have also seen many articles about its health benefits. I just worry about the mercury content. Are there any brands of capsules that are checked for mercury levels?
Good question. I looked at my husbands bottle of fish oil and there was no information about this. On my prenatal vitamins (who do also have fish oil) it says that they are tested to make sure the mercury level is safe.

I did a google search and it seem like fish oil is safe also in regards to mercury. Apparently the levels of mercury is much much higher in fresh fish then it is in fish oil. If you are very concern about this though, I recommend you talk to your doctor or pharmacist and ask which brand is safe to use.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM

You know I never even thought about the mercury that might be in it. I am surprised in a way that it is in prenatal vitamins. Isn't mercury one of the things they want you to stay away from while pregnant? I thought I was told not to eat fish because of this. But it has been awhile since I was pregnant so I could be mixing that up with something else.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM

My husband had to take this for awhile as a stool softener and he said it did exactly that.