Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Default short term goals

I beleive most people try to make resolution every January (only to fail before January is finished) Many of those resolutions has to do with losing weight and doing more exercise. I used to make resolution like: lose 10 kg, exercise more, stop eating sweets and so on. Never worked. A friend cam up with the idea of making short term goals to achieve the bigger once. It is easier to do '5 push ups every morning for a week' then having a big goal saying you want to be able to do 100 push ups. I loved the idea and have been making small goals every week. This week I am working on:

1. eat 2 pieces of fruit and 1 serve of veggies every day
2. put sunscreen on every morning
3. drink 1 glass of water before every meal
4. do my exercise dvd 3 times during the week.

So far this is working very well for me. It feels good to reach my goals ever week and if I fail something I can always try again next week. Or just change the goal to something else.

What are your long term goals? And do you make short term goals to achieve them?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Making short term, achievable goals is amuch better way to be able to stick to your resolutions. For me, my short term goals are to eat at least one fresh food(fruit or veggie) with every meal and to lose five pounds. My long term goal is to get back down to my "fighting weight"
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Don't forget to add rewards for yourself. It is easier to acheive goals when there are hedonistic indulgences associated with the process.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 PM

I've done this for myself as well. Instead of vowing to lose 20 lbs, I focus on 5lbs at a time. When I hit the 5 lbs, I celebrate with a cup of hot chocolate and refocus on the next 5. Unfortunately, I haven't got past the first 5...must be the hot chocolate.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 AM

My short term goals are:

1. Stop middle of the night snacking
2. Drink more tea or water
3. Walk more.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrajean View Post
I've done this for myself as well. Instead of vowing to lose 20 lbs, I focus on 5lbs at a time. When I hit the 5 lbs, I celebrate with a cup of hot chocolate and refocus on the next 5. Unfortunately, I haven't got past the first 5...must be the hot chocolate.
that made me laugh I am pretty much the same, but instead of hot choclate I will eat a big bar of chocolate to celebrate. I need to try to find something else to award myself with.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:48 AM

You're welcome, Mrs. H. That's another personal resolution of mine, to make others happy. Thanks for helping me cross that one off my list.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM

I am currently trying to lose weight right now and I just signed up for a gym. My short term goal is go to the gym 3-4 times a week for the first two weeks and then I will treat myself to a manicure. Plus my other goal this week is to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I like having little rewards for myself. Keeps me going. So far I've lost 7 pounds since Jan 1st!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 AM

My short term goal is to stick to my low GI and , no matter how much i crabe a big bowl of pasta, do not give in to it!!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM

I have been doing terribly on my goals lately. Its hard to work full time and also find the time and energy to eat the right food and do exercise. I probably have to sit down and figure out away to do this.