Go Back   NutriQuiz Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Dieting & Weightloss
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Atkins diet

What does everyone think of this diet? My sister is doing it but I think it's so unhealthy to cut out all carbs. I mean I read somewhere that Atkins had actually died from this diet. What are your views on it?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM

It probably works temporarily but it does carry some serious health risks. Modifying the diet to include carbs would be helpful and I think that may have aleready happened.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 PM

I'm not into any kind of diet that has you eliminate any one food group. A girl at my work has "been on" this diet for like a year, but she can never fully stick to it and she doesn't seem to have lost any weight
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM

Baldmonkee, I agree completely. I just can't agree to stick with a diet that eliminates an entire food group. I thought that carbs were essential?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 AM

yes you do need carbs, but in general we eat to much of them. I grew up eating bread to almost every meal and for dinner we always had potatoes. I am trying now to limit my carb intake a bit and eat more veggies instead.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH View Post
yes you do need carbs, but in general we eat to much of them. I grew up eating bread to almost every meal and for dinner we always had potatoes. I am trying now to limit my carb intake a bit and eat more veggies instead.
I agree that we eat too much of them, but in reality most of us are eating too much of everything, I think a diet cut down across the board of the food groups seems more reasonable than a diet limiting just one section. I'm not anti Atkins, I just don't think it's for everyone
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
Sure, we might eat too many carbs, but is that a reason to eliminate them totally? We need to cut down in every aspect of our eating, I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
It probably works temporarily but it does carry some serious health risks. Modifying the diet to include carbs would be helpful and I think that may have aleready happened.
i totally agree with you that we need to cut down the every aspect of our eating ...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:52 PM

The Atkins diet, officially known as the Atkins Nutritional Approach, is a diet low in carbohydrates created by Dr. Robert Atkins, a diet he read in the Journal of the American Medical Association and used to solve its own condition overweight.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 AM

Probably work but temporarily, it has some serious health risks. Changing your diet to include carbohydrates would be useful and I think maybe already happened.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Atkins Diet is a system that allows our body to lose weight in a natural way to induce a change in metabolism. Your body is able to burn fats and carbohydrates to provide energy to function properly. Carbohydrate as glucose, is the first fuel for energy supply in our body. The Dr. Atkins suggests that when we reduce our consumption of carbohydrates significantly, our bodies burn carbohydrates convert to fat as fuel.