Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Growing veggies at home.

I'm keen to start growing some veg at home but we don't have a lot of space - we have a fairly big garden but at the moment it is all mature flowerbeds or grass for the kids to play on. I am going to pull up a few bushes when my partner isn't looking and plant some veg - what would you recommend I start with?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM

I forgot to say that I am looking to grow something which not only doesn't take up much space but is also fairly foolproof to grow because it needs to be tough to survive my care!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Depends on where you are, I've had good luck with tomatos, pole beans, and peppers, none of which take up very much space.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Tomatoes are always a good start because they can pretty much live through anything, I have tomato plants that have managed to live through frost. Another good idea would be carrots, they are simple enough, plus they taste great. There, of course, is also the option of going to a organic food store and picking up one of the box sets for growing your own herbs and spices. It will give you a chance to start out (the directions are on the box, plain as day) as well as maybe hone your green thumb a little. It may also help you to choose some new spices or herbs that you weren't familiar with that you realize you like, and you can incorporate them into your daily meals!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 AM

I think chived and parsley should be pretty easy too. I remember we had them in our veggie garden as kids. You can also get a ceramic pot with holes all over which is perfect to grow strawberries in. Nothing is better then homegrown strawberries.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetochat View Post
Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!
Even though tomatos might take a bit more water, they are worth every drop. The flavor of a home grown tomato is much better than those at a grocers. I believe they are better for you!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM

I grow tomatoes, red bell peppers, and hot red peppers. I also grow thyme, aloe vera (for internal and external use), and squash. The squash runs around the the other vegetables, so it looks a bit like a mini jungle however I am always able to find the tomatoes and such.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM

I always suggest salad leaves and beans to new gardeners. There are varieties of each which suit most climates & they are attractive to grow. Some beans have beautiful flowers. Beans can be trained up trellises etc so take up little space. With the salad leaves, try cut & come again varieties & you will be harvesting your first leaves within weeks. Plant a little each week & you will always have a supply.

Green-Moo
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Those are good suggestions. My favourite thing to do with having my own grown vegetables is to go out and pick items for a stir-fry. There's not much better than cooking one up from veggies just picked out of the ground. It's a great idea to get a lot of use from them too.