Go Back   NutriQuiz Forums > Diet & Nutrition > Dieting & Weightloss

Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Default What are your tricks to make sure you get enough green stuff

and by green stuff I mean fruit and veggies. I know the recommendation is 5 a day, which means 2 serves of fruit and 3 serves of veggies. I am doing pretty well with the fruit (probably because they are sweet and I like sweet stuff) but veggies is a bit more tricky.

I manage 1 serve pr day since I usually fill half my plate with veggies for lunch. But the other 2 serves. Not sure where I will fit them in. Any tricks out there?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM

The best way to make sure you are getting enough fruits and vegetables is to have fruits as desserts and raw veggies as snacks. You might be surprised at how many green veggies actually work well with a little dip as a snack. Just make sure the dip is very low on fat content.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:49 AM

I would surely agree with what SageMother has said, trying to control fat foods would be really helpful to avoid those extra pounds and make yourself perfect.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 AM

well yesterday I cut up some extra cucumber and a carrot into sticks and put the in a cup of water in the fridge. When I felt like eating *something* I ate then + a cup of tea. I am not a big fan of dips, but raw veggies was alright. I might keep on doing this.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM

I know that I definitely do not eat enough fruits and vegetables, but I really wish that I could. I eat a lot of salad, and to make it taste better I make grilled chicken to go in it. As far as fruit goes, I eat a lot of apples and oranges throughout the day, probably two or three a day.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Don't forget to use a blender or juicer. Smoothies and fresh fruit juices count toward the daily recommended requirements. I drink fruit juices instead of carbonated beverages. They are good whizzed in the blender with ice in the summer.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM

How much actually is a portion? If you are half filling your plate with veggies surely that counts as more than one of the five a day?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 AM

I cannot remember how much exactly makes up a portion, so sorry, I can't help you there.

I did get a smoothie maker a year ago, and kind of went on a smoothie-making binge. I kind of got tired of having to clean it out so much though.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

I am terrible when it comes to getting the veggies that I should have daily. There are not to many that I do like. That being said I do like lettuce and tomato's so I try to eat a lot of salads. Also I plug my nose and down V8 juice.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetochat View Post
How much actually is a portion? If you are half filling your plate with veggies surely that counts as more than one of the five a day?
I believe 1 serve is equal to 1 cup when it comes to most veggies and greens (lettuce f ex). However some veggies are starchy which makes them more equal to paste, rice and such. For the starchy vegetables the recommendation is to eat them, but in smaller amounts (think of them like carbs). Starchy vegetables are f ex potatoes, peas, beans and corn.