Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 AM

Default mixing protein and carbs

I heard a nutritionist say you should never mix protein and carbs ( which would technically mean no sanwiches with meat), but I heard someone on a low glycemic diet say she was told not to eat carbs by themselves. Which is right? Under what circumstances?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 PM

I personally have not heard this yet. Hopefully someone on here might know more because I would be interested to know if this is true. I love my sandwiches but I did have a feeling that they might not be all that great for me.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:09 PM

I've never heard of any negatives from mixing proteins and carbs either, did they say it was just in the same bite like sandwiches, or on the same plate like spaghetti and meatballs or steak and potatoes as well?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM

I've actually never heard this, but I think it would be nice to get some more opinions. I wonder why that is though, if it's true?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:05 PM

I'v ebeen told that when I have carbs, I shouldalways have a bit of protein too! I think it helps to stop your blood sugar shooting up so dramatically ( but I'm not positive about that!!)
Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 PM

From my research both approaches have been advocated for weight loss. Splitting protein from carbohydrate is called food combining diet and was first developed as the Hay diet. The idea of this is that your body uses different digestive enzymes for the digestion of each food group - proteins need acid, carbohydrates need alkali. Eating them together leads to food taking longer to digest and incomplete digestion of food particles which get turned into fat balls of toxins and cellulite. Food combining leads to better digestion and allows the body to burn fat - you should not eat protein and carbohydrates at the same meal. this approach also includes how to eat fruit - this should always be eaten on its own.
British nutritionist Patrick Holford designed the low-GL diet - this is based on a principle called the Glycaemic load (GL) which is about stabilising blood sugar levels and insulin responses. One aspect of this is eating certain types (but only in small amounts) of carbohydrates with protein.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks for sharing the information guys. I think we should choose either protein or carbs. Protein is goos gaining muscles and carbs will help in loosing weight.

Weight loss system
Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 AM

It's a very good post to see the information. All weight loss supplements will mix proteins and carbs with other ingredients to help people to get rid of over weight and it helps to have a balanced diet too.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
I heard a nutritionist say you should never mix protein and carbs ( which would technically mean no sanwiches with meat), but I heard someone on a low glycemic diet say she was told not to eat carbs by themselves. Which is right? Under what circumstances?
After 16 yrs medical practice Dr Hay's health broke down, he developed high blood pressure, brights disease and a dilated heart. There being no treatment available for dilated heart at the time Dr Hay was inspired to treat his own symptoms.

He did this by eating 'fundamentally' as he called it, taking foods in a natural form and not mixing proteins and starches at the same meal.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:34 AM

Splitting protein from carbohydrate is called food combining diet and was first developed as the Hay diet. Eating them together leads to food taking longer to digest and incomplete digestion of food particles which get turned into fat balls of toxins and cellulite.