Old 01-22-2008, 07:55 AM

Default hiden veggies recipes

3plus3 mention in another tread that she will 'hide' veggies in food so that her kids will eat it. One of the tricks was zucchini in chocolate cake. Now, I think I hve mention 1 or maybe 2 times before that I love chocolate. So 3plus3 - do you care do share that recipe? And for the rest of you, do you want to share your 'tricks' of you are doing similar things?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Thankfully my kids aren't that difficult when it comes to eating veggies, but if I think it's going to be a diifcult night I'll make spaghetti and throw some extra veggies in with the sauce: onions, peppers or broccoli in alfredo sauce. That will usually do the trick
Old 01-25-2008, 07:40 PM

I don't have any tricks yet since my baby is still very young and he likes mos veggies so far. But I am taking notes because I know the time may come when I need them.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM

I have thought about doing something like this but I would really have to blend the vegetables in because if my oldest son even sees a speck of green or orange he says he automatically doesn't like it. I can get him to try it at least but the majority of the time he still don't like it.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM

My son actually likes his veggies, yayyy! But they have to be raw. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, cukes...all the garden variety types. Summer is great for us.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 PM

I never tricked my kids into eating anything because I didn'twant them to grow up thinking everything had to be their own idea. I also think the need for trust is more important than their doing what they need to do without conflict.

When presented with items that may be difficult to eat, they could add a bit of that item on the fork with something they found easier to eat, but everything hit the plate in a recognizable form. They knew I would never try to trick them into doing things.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:47 AM

I remember there was a book out by Seinfeld's wife that had recipes and ways to hide the vegetables in their meals.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 AM

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to hide vegetables in other foods. I remember my father serving us liver and telling us that it was steak, and when I found out, I never trusted him about food again. Trust can be broken easily with children, I believe.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

I was thinking more about us. Hide veggies in other dishes as a way of getting more veggies in our diet.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up MrsH. I have no problem hiding fruits and vegetables as long as everybody else knows about it.