Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Growing Food

As this is the only forum category I see fit for this, this is where it will go.
I wanted to know what everyone's opinions are on the scientifically grown food. The food that is guaranteed to grow in harsh conditions. As some call it the "Frankenfood."

I, personally, think it is a great step forward, however I know there are many that don't agree.

I'm curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are, and why you feel that way.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM

I would have to ask what exactly makes the food grow in harsh conditions? I have not heard of this so I really cannot comment on it. I am going to see what I can find out about it though.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 PM

I see no harm in eating food that has been bred for its hardiness. I think people over react when they think of scientific intervention.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:46 AM

It's basically food that has been scientifically created in order to survive without nutrients in the ground it would normally need in order to grow.

Sage, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I do think that most of the people who do not agree with the scientifically grown food are those that have the means to eat healthy, and do not worry about starvation, however because of them, and because of their brainwashing, a lot of other countries have turned down the opportunity for this food.
I think it's sad that some people are still starving because they have listened to people who have no idea what they are going on about.
If you ate lettuce, and didn't look at the label, I highly doubt you would even notice that it wasn't home grown.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:09 AM

From what I've read and been told by some farmers. genetically modified crops are sometimes injected with antibiotics- which I don't want to consume.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM

I'd tend to stay away from GM food myself but have no "problem" with it per se.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
From what I've read and been told by some farmers. genetically modified crops are sometimes injected with antibiotics- which I don't want to consume.
I understand not wanting to eat things that have antibiotics. Thing is, antibiotics, along with hormones, are in are water supply. People who use them often shed excess amounts in urine, and not all of those substances can be filtered out during the reclamation process.

This article talks about some of the findings when water has been tested. I am sure there is effort grwoing to take care of the problems associated with pharmaceuticals in the water supply, though.

Last edited by SageMother; 02-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM

I will have to check out that link. I never knew that there was so much pharmaceuticals in our water supply. I have to ask would stuff that is scientifically grown still considered organic? Just curious? thanks.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM

I feel that much of the illnesses that we have today have spiralled from many of these GM foods. I could be wrong, but that's my thought right now. When you see so many people in a wide cross section suffering from illnesses that was regarded as an older person's sickness (like fibroids) then it has to do with either the food or drink we consume.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 PM

There's a big difference between what we've come to understand as 'GM' foods and those bred to resist harsh conditions, a practice that has been going on even since man discovered that he could experiement with pollinating plant A with plant B to see if he could make plant C.

Green-Moo