Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Diet coke with antioxidants

I've been drinking a lot of this recently, as it has been on various offers, free, so I've got a stock! Someone mentioned to me that there was no point in having it because the carcogenic sweetners negate any positive effect of the antioxidants. What do people think?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:23 AM

Your friends may be right. Coke has no nutritional value, and there is a lot of controversy surrounding artificial sweeteners, as my dad the chemist woud tell you. Added to which, vitamins are better absorbed with real food that has real nutritional value. Why not eat more berries, drink more green tea, etc.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 AM

There is no nutritional value in the sodas and on the can they usually say that there the product does not have any nutritional value.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
Your friends may be right. Coke has no nutritional value, and there is a lot of controversy surrounding artificial sweeteners, as my dad the chemist woud tell you. Added to which, vitamins are better absorbed with real food that has real nutritional value. Why not eat more berries, drink more green tea, etc.
because I really can't stand green tea!! I have tried it in so many guises but I cannot stomach the stuff! I eat plenty of berries anyway with my porridge! ( I have to have a low gi diet and this is one of the things they tell you to do). Only drinking this coke cos I got stacks of it for free - ( I'm a pepsi max fan normally!) Just wondered what people thought. I thought that, as I drink artificially sweetened coke anyway , and am not planning on stopping doing so - if this one counteracts the baddies it can't be doing me much harm!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey View Post
Added to which, vitamins are better absorbed with real food that has real nutritional value. .
Sorry - I forgot - this bit is interesting!! This is something my low gi book says - that it is beneficial to have antioxidants and carbs together as it reduces amount absorbed or something So I drink my coke with my sandwich! haha - not quite what the book had in mind! But do you know why this is?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm very scared of the artificial sweetener stuff. I rather drink the real deal then diet anything. A friend of mine got 'addicted' to coke and had to have about 1 liter everyday. Some people claims the artificial sweetener makes you addicted, but I think its more the caffeine part
Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM

I don't think the "carcenogenic" sweetners are really an issue. You wouldn't be able to drink enough coke to create the levels necessary to cause problems.

Anything that vitamins can be added to can be altered to create nutritional value.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM

I have not seen this product yet. Personally I would think that there would be other things you might drink that would be better overall that would have antioxidants in it.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Emys99 has already made up her mind to finish drinking her Coke, annd it seem we can't discourage her. What I would suggest is that you also drink plenty to water so that your system will be flushed.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 AM

I usually have 7up if there is some gastric problem rather than having any other drinks on regular basis. I don't prefer to have drinks like coke and I have a cup of milk or butter-milk. I somehow prefer to take water if I visit a restaurant rather than having anything else.