Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Bugs in my beans

Last year I grew lots of beans at home, dried them & stored them in airproof glass jars. However, upon opening them many of the beans have been eaten by some sort of small insect. The bugs are dead in the jar. Presumably they were in the beans already as there's no way they could get into sealed jars afterwards, but I really didn't see them & I checked the beans carefully for signs of damage etc first.

Does anyone know how I can spot them & avoid them next time? It's a real shame to have a whole jar ruined!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM

Default bugs in beans

I really don't know how to stop this. But I feel for you because I would die if I had bugs in beans or any other food. Hope you find a way to stop this.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM

You might need to rinse the beans before storing them. Often, the tiny eggs can't be seen.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Perhaps you can buy a mild insecticide that does not harm your beans to use on those that you intend to store over a period of time.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageMother View Post
You might need to rinse the beans before storing them. Often, the tiny eggs can't be seen.
I can see this happening with home grown produce, but I've had it happen with *store* bought things like noodles and rice and even some other things. It's so disgusting to find it but there's nothing I can do about it. (Oh, and flour, of course... ugh!)
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM

What a pain that must have been. To do all that work and then they end up not being good. I would agree mayber rinsing them right before you jar them.