Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 AM

Default Cost

I really think I could eat so much better if the healthy food wasn't so expensive. I can use coupons and pay 10 cents for something in a box, but to buy fresh fruit and vegetables can be very expensive. Does anyone have any tips on how to save money while trying to eat healthy?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick-r-treat View Post
I really think I could eat so much better if the healthy food wasn't so expensive. I can use coupons and pay 10 cents for something in a box, but to buy fresh fruit and vegetables can be very expensive. Does anyone have any tips on how to save money while trying to eat healthy?
Hmmmm... well the first thing that came to mind was to try to grow some of your own veggies, but not everyone wants to do that. If there is a farmers market in your area, that's a good place to save money on veggies and often fruits, too.

If fresh veggies are too expensive, the second best choice is frozen. I never buy canned because too many of the nutrients are gone in that method.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 PM

You could perhaps have the fruits and veggies that are in season, usually when there is a large amount available on the market, it's cheaper.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Yes, I would agree if there is a farmer's market around you they are generally cheaper. But I do understand where you are coming from on the price though. I tend to buy whatever fruit is on sale or the cheapest at the moment.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM

If you have a freezer, perhaps you could buy fruit & veg when in season and freeze them to use at a later stage when they are more expensive. You could also take advantage of bulk buys in this way.

Green-Moo
Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM

A freezer is a necessity. Otherwise you can't store your oganic food long enough to benefit from eating it.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 AM

For several years now I've been fortunate enough to be able to plant my own garden, but this past year we moved and now I'm hopeful that this new home will be just as sucessful.