Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, carrots and melons are high on my list of must-do planting.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM

I had a little vegetable garden once where I grew sweet peppers, peas, greens or callaloo. My brother also had some tomatoes and some yams.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM

I've always had a veggie garden but never once have tried to grow my own herbs, this thread has really got me thinking
Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 AM

I grow tomatoes, red bell peppers, and hot red peppers. I also grow thyme, aloe vera (for internal and external use), and squash. The squash runs around the the other vegetables, so it looks a bit like a mini jungle however I am always able to find the tomatoes and such.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 AM

I would absolutely love to grow my own fruits and vegetables, but I live in a condo and don't even have a yard. I hope to do something like that once I get my own home though.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetochat View Post
Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!
Even though tomatos might take a bit more water, they are worth every drop. The flavor of a home grown tomato is much better than those at a grocers. I believe they are better for you!
Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 AM

I agree the tomatoes grown in a home garden do taste a lot better and I found that they taste sweeter too.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 AM

My grandparents grow their own peppers, and those are definitely the best peppers that I have ever had. They have a lot more flavor than ones I buy at the store. I would love to try their home grown tomatoes but haven't yet.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 PM

My stepbrother is a chef and grows all of his own vegetables which is fantastic. You can taste the difference for sure when the food is fresh from the ground. When I have a place with a bit more space I want to grow peppers, tomatoes and a few other ones for my own cooking.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona View Post
I agree the tomatoes grown in a home garden do taste a lot better and I found that they taste sweeter too.
Oh yes, they're wonderful! To answer the original question, I agree about tomatoes being a good place to start. When I've done it, though, I bought the starter plants, I didn't start from seeds. Peppers are pretty easy, like someone said. Cucumbers are easy... peas are easy but the yield isn't so great if you're feeding more than one or two people.