Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Diet & Monthly Mood swings

I'd like to know if there are certain foods which would help me to avoid the sudden mood swings I can be subject to around the time of my monthly period.

Green-Moo
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

I to would love to know this also and so would my husband. lol. I get terrible mood swings. Hopefully someone on here will have some suggestions.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:10 PM

Sorry, my mood swings didn't even out until after I had my hysterectomy and the hormones stopped fluctuting every month. Yet another benefit of menopause.

This probably isn't the right thing to say on a nutrition board, but the only foods that ever made me feel better during hormonal mood swings were the traditional "comfort foods"--soft crescent rolls, mashed potatoes, fried chicken or steak, etc. I noticed I especially craved meat during my periods. Wonder what that was about?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:21 PM

Calypso, I'm surprised to see that somebody else also craves meat when they are on their period. I am exactly the same way. The only foods that really calm me down are unhealthy ones, plus iced tea.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 PM

I think higher doses of vitamin B supplements work well. Something else to think about :

It could be your spouse or boyufriend does things that are annoying and, usually, you have the patience to ignore or deal withim. It might not be your time of month as much as it is just your patience wearing out, and everyone saying it is that time of month to keep from, having to change their irritating behavior.

I have seen this happen OFTEN!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
Calypso, I'm surprised to see that somebody else also craves meat when they are on their period. I am exactly the same way. The only foods that really calm me down are unhealthy ones, plus iced tea.
I agree unhealthy foods always what seemed to help me with my mood swings. Now I am older and don't have to worry about that anymore. The only thing is I can't blame my mood swings on anything else but me now.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I noticed I especially craved meat during my periods. Wonder what that was about?

I suppose that it is logical that if you are losing blood, your body needs to replace it. And what better place to find the components of blood than in meat?!

When I have my period I sometimes crave 'heavy' food, particularly pasta. It was the same when I was pregnant, though I could have eaten cakes all day too then.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 AM

I agree with Green-moo; craving meat during your period makes sense since you are losing blood.

I'm craving chocolate during that time and find it so hard to limit myself. I have heard that if you crave chocolate you are really low on magnesium so I should try to find another (and healthier) source to get my magnesium..so far the chocolate is just easier.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Default Diet and monthly mood swings

Hi all,
A little advice...cut out the sugar and refined carbs and you may find your mood swings disappear. I had horrible pms, of the Jekyl and Hyde variety, and it disappeared after cutting out sugar and refined carbs and increasing good proteins. It was hard to do but so worth it. It may also have to do with hormonal balance.
Kim
Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 AM

Herbal Supplements are an important part of today’s comprehensive health maintenance. Whole food supplements are the most effective form of herbal supplements. Many herbal supplement products are processed using high heat extraction methods which can destroy the active ingredient. In addition, many products are single ingredient herbal supplements in which only the most active component is packaged.