Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM

Yep, I tried growing tomatoes once right from the seeds and it didn't go well at all but the next summer I used starter plants and had much better results. A lot of veggies are easy to grow if you do a tiny bit of trial and error.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Default growing veggies at home

My husband had a small garden last year, We didn't grow a lot but it was neat going out and picking things from your own garden. We are going to try it again this year. Maybe we will make it a little bigger.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 AM

I always suggest salad leaves and beans to new gardeners. There are varieties of each which suit most climates & they are attractive to grow. Some beans have beautiful flowers. Beans can be trained up trellises etc so take up little space. With the salad leaves, try cut & come again varieties & you will be harvesting your first leaves within weeks. Plant a little each week & you will always have a supply.

Green-Moo
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Those are good suggestions. My favourite thing to do with having my own grown vegetables is to go out and pick items for a stir-fry. There's not much better than cooking one up from veggies just picked out of the ground. It's a great idea to get a lot of use from them too.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:26 PM

Another idea if you are lacking space due to flower beds & lawn is to grow some veg in post. They can look really attractive, you can move them to suit the growing conditions, and of course they aren't permanent so if it's not right for you it's not a problem. You don't have to spend loads of money either, all sorts of things can be utilised as garden planters. Do make sure you give them decent drainage though, and it's worth investing in decent compost.

Green-Moo
Old 10-27-2010, 01:42 PM

My half brother is a chef and is growing their own vegetables, which is great. You can certainly taste the difference when the food is fresh from the country. When I place a little more space I want to grow peppers, tomatoes and a few others are their kitchen.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 AM

I think chived and parsley should be pretty easy too. I remember we had them in our veggie garden as kids. You can also get a ceramic pot with holes all over which is perfect to grow strawberries in. Nothing is better then homegrown strawberries.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM

I grow mint , tomato, chilies and garlic at home. somtime i grow coriander in pot and it smells great