Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Default Organic foods?

Organic foods are more costly than ordinary foods why is that so and what are the major uses of organic foods over other foods??
Old 01-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Organic means the food was not grown with anything synthetic.

For meat it means the livestock was fed natural feeds only, and was not given any shots of antibiotics or growth hormones.

There is a serious health benefit to eating organic meat. If a cow was shot full of estrogen and then you eat meat from that cow, you're getting estrogen from that meat. Which is bad, very bad. This is also true for other animal products (milk/eggs/cheese).

Fruits and veggies though, organic means that they used natural fertilizers and natural (or no) pesticides. Fertilizer has no bearing on how healthy fruit is for you, and so long as you wash your fruit and veggies before eating, pesticides don't either. So in this regard there is no health reason for eating organic fruit and veggies, people who do so do it from a "save the planet" standpoint rather than a "save my waistline" standpoint.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Another reason made by someone else on the forum, was the factor that organic food has a shorter shelf-life.
because of this, it has to cost more, to offset the cost that it cannot stay on the shelf and be sold for as long as "normal" food can.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Organic foods have greater value but I get to see many people buy normal foods rather than going in for organic foods. I mainly get to buy spinach which is organic, other than that I don't buy any organic foods.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 PM

For the last four years we've been raising our own beef and pork. We know exactly what goes into them, no surprises. I've even begun planting my own veggies. I can't afford organic so I try to do my own.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM

I have been learning a lot about organic foods especially the fruits and vegetables. I did not realize there was not a difference in health value between organic fruits and the fruits that have pesticides on them.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Organic means the food was not grown with anything synthetic.

For meat it means the livestock was fed natural feeds only, and was not given any shots of antibiotics or growth hormones.

There is a serious health benefit to eating organic meat. If a cow was shot full of estrogen and then you eat meat from that cow, you're getting estrogen from that meat. Which is bad, very bad. This is also true for other animal products (milk/eggs/cheese).

Fruits and veggies though, organic means that they used natural fertilizers and natural (or no) pesticides. Fertilizer has no bearing on how healthy fruit is for you, and so long as you wash your fruit and veggies before eating, pesticides don't either. So in this regard there is no health reason for eating organic fruit and veggies, people who do so do it from a "save the planet" standpoint rather than a "save my waistline" standpoint.
recent information on organic foods include lists of foods that are most polluted and most recommended to eat organic. Amongst these are: beef, milk, strawberries, raspberries, sweet bell peppers, grapes, cherries, apples, spinach, celery and lettuce. Some meats and milk are heavily contaminated with hormones and antibiotics. With fruit and veg some advice is that it is best to prioitise your organic buying to any fruit or veg you eat with the skin on - those with thick skins such as bananas and pineapples tend to be safer. The problem can be that the pollution goes deeper than the outside. Other advice is to vary the sources you get your fruit and veg from if it isn't organic.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

Organic food is always better than normal food as it is more fresh because it has no preservatives and directly sent to the shops. This food enters in your stomach in a natural state with its nutrient content so it helps in removing the chemical load in your stomach.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:14 PM

You don't see many coupons for organic food because the organic food suppliers are not giving their products away for discount. Most of the suppliers are small farmers who are incurring slim profit margins as compared to titans of food industry who can afford to give you those non-organic processed foods at a major discount. Until the organic food market becomes highly commercialized I would'nt plan on seeing any coupons for organic food.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Organic foods cost more, but I go for organic foods to see many people buying food instead of the usual get to. I mainly biological parent who, other than that I do not buy any organic foods get buy.