Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Growing veggies at home.

I'm keen to start growing some veg at home but we don't have a lot of space - we have a fairly big garden but at the moment it is all mature flowerbeds or grass for the kids to play on. I am going to pull up a few bushes when my partner isn't looking and plant some veg - what would you recommend I start with?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 PM

I forgot to say that I am looking to grow something which not only doesn't take up much space but is also fairly foolproof to grow because it needs to be tough to survive my care!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Depends on where you are, I've had good luck with tomatos, pole beans, and peppers, none of which take up very much space.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Tomatoes are always a good start because they can pretty much live through anything, I have tomato plants that have managed to live through frost. Another good idea would be carrots, they are simple enough, plus they taste great. There, of course, is also the option of going to a organic food store and picking up one of the box sets for growing your own herbs and spices. It will give you a chance to start out (the directions are on the box, plain as day) as well as maybe hone your green thumb a little. It may also help you to choose some new spices or herbs that you weren't familiar with that you realize you like, and you can incorporate them into your daily meals!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:03 AM

I think chived and parsley should be pretty easy too. I remember we had them in our veggie garden as kids. You can also get a ceramic pot with holes all over which is perfect to grow strawberries in. Nothing is better then homegrown strawberries.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM

I believe that parsley is pretty easy to grow, but it's not much in the spice category as it is just a garnish, and used to freshen breath.
I think maybe you just need some reconditioning.
Set a certain time of day when you will always feed/water the plants. That way it's at the same time every day, and it will be after something you just did.

Example: take the dog for a walk, feed/water the plants. That way, you know that if you (or someone else) just walked the dog, it's time to water the plants.

Hey, you never know, it may work!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Yes you are right, I should do it like that. I'm hoping that if I plant some veg and herbs, I will be super keen to look after them. Jobs are always easier as part of a routine so you are right, I will have to make more of an effort to incorporate it into my day. So many things I keep meaning to do....
Old 01-19-2008, 04:10 AM

Carrots are pretty resistant. As for herbs, mint tends to take over any available space, so maybe avoid that. Rosemary and thyme go with many things and are not too finicky.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:02 AM

I didn't even think of thyme! That's a great one, and like Lyndsay said, it really can go on a lot of things, same with rosemary. I usually add rosemary to my mashed potatoes, good stuff.