NutriQuiz Forums

NutriQuiz Forums (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strength Training & Building Muscle (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How Do I? (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150)

xanadu324 01-16-2008 10:54 AM

How Do I?

Ok, here's the skinny.
I'm 5'8" and about 102lbs, or so. I'm trying to put on weight, however, no matter what I do, I gain about a pound or so, and then it's gone. I've tried eating more frequently, eating more carbs, working out, nothing seems to work. I know I'm underweight, but how do I rectify that?

baldmonkee 01-17-2008 09:02 PM

If you really want to gain wait, you need to consume more calories than you burn. So if your workout has consisted of any cardio at all you may want to scale that back and focus on progressive resisitance weight training. Make sure you're getting enough of all the food groups, pay particular attention to protein when your are trying to gain muscle, and if your metabolism is very high, there's no harm in whole milk, ice cream or cheeses as choices for protein

MrsH 01-18-2008 08:47 AM

yeah I second drinking whole milk, eating ice cream and cheese. Maybe you also should have a talk to your doctor and get some advice from them. They know you more then us and can give more specific advice for your body type and lifestyle.

baldmonkee 01-18-2008 12:55 PM

If you've got a little extra money, there are companies that make high calorie, nutrient rich weight gain powders that I've heard work pretty well. This can get a bit pricey though

tater03 01-18-2008 11:45 PM

I have heard that those shakes are really very good for helping to put on weight. They also have the nutrients that you need in them.

debrajean 02-06-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xanadu324 (Post 203)
Ok, here's the skinny.
I'm 5'8" and about 102lbs, or so. I'm trying to put on weight, however, no matter what I do, I gain about a pound or so, and then it's gone. I've tried eating more frequently, eating more carbs, working out, nothing seems to work. I know I'm underweight, but how do I rectify that?

Honey, you really are underweight. I've heard eating red meat will help bulk you up. If you eat meat, try having a steak or a burger. If you're drinking any types of energy drinks or caffeinated drinks you might want to stop as these are extremely high in caffeine and caffeine is big in contributing to weight loss.

MrsH 02-07-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debrajean (Post 565)
If you're drinking any types of energy drinks or caffeinated drinks you might want to stop as these are extremely high in caffeine and caffeine is big in contributing to weight loss.

so do this mean that I should countinue eating my chocolate since it has caffeine?? (looks hopefull for the big chocolate bar :D )

tater03 02-07-2008 11:36 PM

I never thought of the caffeine but that is so true. On the other hand I don't think I would give up the chocolate though. The calories in the chocolate I think might outweigh the caffeine.

Jewel 02-10-2008 03:01 AM

I am underweight as well, 5 foot 3 or 4 and about 95 pounds at the moment. My weight fluctuates a lot, ranging anywhere from 90 to 105 depending on the week. I have been trying to put on a little bit of weight so I could have more muscle, but have been unsuccessful. Just remember to continue eating healthy. You can eat fatty foods, but don't over-do it. A healthy diet is still important.

Liza 02-13-2008 12:27 PM

Wow, your problem is what more than 80% of us are trying to get achieve. I would suggest you eat much of the foods containing good fats and oils that will not result in you getting heart disease.