NutriQuiz Forums

NutriQuiz Forums (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/index.php)
-   Organic Foods & Home Gardening (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Organic foods? (http://www.nutriquiz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134)

ammulu 01-11-2008 10:14 PM

Organic foods?

Organic foods are more costly than ordinary foods why is that so and what are the major uses of organic foods over other foods??

Chris 01-12-2008 12:57 AM

Organic means the food was not grown with anything synthetic.

For meat it means the livestock was fed natural feeds only, and was not given any shots of antibiotics or growth hormones.

There is a serious health benefit to eating organic meat. If a cow was shot full of estrogen and then you eat meat from that cow, you're getting estrogen from that meat. Which is bad, very bad. This is also true for other animal products (milk/eggs/cheese).

Fruits and veggies though, organic means that they used natural fertilizers and natural (or no) pesticides. Fertilizer has no bearing on how healthy fruit is for you, and so long as you wash your fruit and veggies before eating, pesticides don't either. So in this regard there is no health reason for eating organic fruit and veggies, people who do so do it from a "save the planet" standpoint rather than a "save my waistline" standpoint.

xanadu324 01-18-2008 10:53 AM

Another reason made by someone else on the forum, was the factor that organic food has a shorter shelf-life.
because of this, it has to cost more, to offset the cost that it cannot stay on the shelf and be sold for as long as "normal" food can.

ammulu 01-20-2008 03:58 PM

Organic foods have greater value but I get to see many people buy normal foods rather than going in for organic foods. I mainly get to buy spinach which is organic, other than that I don't buy any organic foods.

debrajean 01-20-2008 10:51 PM

For the last four years we've been raising our own beef and pork. We know exactly what goes into them, no surprises. I've even begun planting my own veggies. I can't afford organic so I try to do my own.

fiona 01-28-2008 06:23 AM

I have been learning a lot about organic foods especially the fruits and vegetables. I did not realize there was not a difference in health value between organic fruits and the fruits that have pesticides on them.

ammulu 01-30-2008 02:33 AM

I never noticed much difference between one who has organic and normal food, but are there anyone who know of certain instances where in people got to check out the various affects of organic foods.

Liza 02-08-2008 07:10 PM

Organic foods do not have much perservative iin them, so they tend not to last as long as the other, but that means that the added chemicals and pesticides are not transferred to you body either.

Jewel 02-10-2008 03:04 AM

There are both benefits and disadvantages to buying only organic food. I try to buy milk and fruits and vegetables, but when it comes to meat and other foods I will buy anything.

emsy99 02-10-2008 07:10 PM

I try to buy organic when I can , but often there is not enough availability, so I don't strictly buy organic but do try to.